Continuing our theme of seasonal eating, I’ve been able to sneak another recipe from the archives.
This is a super simple recipe that gives a new flavour to a favourite dessert. I love the sweet-sharp taste of the rhubarb alongside the luxurious cream.
Rhubarb Crème Brulée
This recipe serves 12, but it’s easily halved.
- A litre of Double cream
- 12 Egg yolks
- 100 g Caster sugar
- Vanilla pod & seeds
- Poached rhubarb.
- 12 tbsp Demerara sugar.
To make poached rhubarb
Place 600g rhubarb into a pan with 280g caster sugar and the juice of a lemon. Boil until the rhubarb as broken down, and most of the liquid has evaporated.
For the Crème
- Bring cream almost to boiling
- Whisk sugar into yolks
- Pour cream over yolks & whisk in
- Place rhubarb in 12 ramekins, pour mix over & cook in a bain marie at 110°c until set(should take about ½ hour or so).
- Set aside and allow to cool completely
- When you’re ready to serve, pre-heat the grill to maximum and top the crème with a tablespoon of demerara sugar. Place under the grill until the sugar caramelises. This will vary, so keep a close eye ! Serve immediately
As well as growing giant rhubarb, Denise is a super-talented florist. See more of her work here https://www.facebook.com/Ginger-Lily-Florist-formerly-Rustic-Wedding-Flowers-1415607878686513/